Founded in the era of Emperor Sujin, Nakahikawajinja Shrine was earnestly venerated by Muzashi no kuninomiyatsuko. It was the center place to pray for local gods of 92 villages extending across Iruma and Tama Counties. The shrine was revered “Hikawa-sama” by the lords of the Yamaguchi-jo Castle.
In November 1945, immediately after the defeat in the war, GHQ visited the shrine to view the extraordinal annual festival.
Also enshrined in this shrine is Nanasha-jinja Shrine, which was enshrined in the former Shorakuji Village that sank in the Yamaguchi Reservoir.