Believed to bless academic accomplishments and business prosperity
This is one of the oldest shrines in the Tama district, and was on the list of the “Engi Shiki”, which was a statute consolidated in the middle of the Heian era (794～1185). According to shrine legend, it was built around 1,940 years ago.
The shrine was moved to its present place in the middle of the Muromachi era (1336～1573), and then Sugawara Michizane was enshrined with Sukunahikona-no-mikoto.
It is known for blessing things such as academic accomplishments and business prosperity.
The “main hall”, “Notice board of Taiko Hideyoshi”, and the “oldest guardian dogs in the city” are designated cultural properties of the city.
At the festival held on the 25th of every month, Shinto music and dancing called Kagura are dedicated to the shrine.
A variety of stalls are set up along the pathway to the shrine, and this Tenjin no Ichi festival is popular among local people.
According to the comic story “Okashina Yatsu (Funny guy)” in Volume 5 of “Hakaba no Kitaro”, Kitaro seems to be living in the forest behind the shrine.