Yokosuka Travel Guide

News 2022.08.31

Atagoyama Park – Park is the oldest in YOKOSUKA

Founded in 1891, the Atagoyama Park is the oldest in the city.

It was developed when a monument was erected to honour Sabrosuke Nakajima, a member of the Uraga Magistrate’s Office who was involved in negotiations during Perry’s arrival in Uraga.

In 1960, a monument was erected to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the US-Japan Treaty of Amity and Commerce, marking the departure of the Kanrin Maru.

On the back of the monument are inscribed the names of the ship’s captain, Kaishu Katsu, Yukichi Fukuzawa, Manjiro John and other crew members.

There is also a monument to the poems of Yosano Tekkan and Akiko.

The view of Uraga Harbour from the park is a particularly charming feature.


Location1-23, Nishiuraga, Yokosuka city.
AccessA 10-minute walk from the Koyamachi bus stop from the Keikyu Uraga Station for Kurihama.
parkingNo on-site parking.
Contact usParks Management Division, Environmental Policy Department.


| Japanese ship ‘Kanrin-Maru’

Commemorating the 70th anniversary of the city’s establishment
Yokosuka’s 100 most popular sights  
Monument to the embarkation of the Japanese ship ‘Kanrin-Maru’

This monument was built as part of the 100th anniversary celebrations of US-Japan amity and commerce and has a strong bond with the area.

It stands facing the Monument to the Port of Arrival of the Kanrin Maru, which was erected in San Francisco to tell the story of the crossing of the Pacific Ocean by the Kanrin Maru for posterity.

This Atagoyama Park, founded in 1893, is the oldest in the city.

In addition, behind the park stands the monument of Saburosuke Nakajima who was in charge of the repairs to the Kanrin Maru.

※This is the full text of the description board created in 1977 when the ‘100 Yokosuka Scenic Spots’ were selected as a project to commemorate the 70th anniversary of Yokosuka’s municipal organisation.

| Literary monument to Mr and Mrs Yosano.

The poem on the monument was composed by Tekkan Yosano and his wife Akiko on 3 March 1935, when they and their companions visited Kannonzaki, Uraga and Kurihama.

Maybe because it was unexpectedly cold, Tekkan died of pneumonia on 26 March of the same year, so this is one of his last poems in his life.

※Drones are not permitted in the park.